Tuesday, February 23, 2010

That Kind of Girl...

So I really think that I need this blog! There is just so much going on in mine and John’s little world that I need an outlet. Which is so ironic because I really don’t have time to commit to this blog. Based on my past postings you never would have guessed that though huh?
Sure I only work from 8:30am till 1:30pm M-F at the preschool. Most think that’s a pretty cush job, all I do is go “play” everyday right? I mean how hard could that be? It’s not… I love my teaching job!  But it’s not just playing! At three there are many skills that I have to make sure my class masters before they go to Pre-K. And they have all these sub- categories that are enough to drive you batty. There are  the skills that the Pre-K teachers want them to have (you know the social and I can sit still the whole circle time type skills), the skills that the parents want them to have (like reading and writing novels- just kidding…well kinda of), and then there are the skills that well, to survive at an  elementary school they have to master (like opening their own juice box at lunch type skills). Pre-K teachers  are all… your kiddos need to know to cut using the scissors the write way ( thumb goes up and then we cut, cut, cut), glue control, following multi-step directions, shapes, colors, numbers and those are just the easy one’s to track. I also have to pay attention and track artistic expression, eye-and coordination, their cognitive learning process, compassion and respect for others, self expression, object recognition, problem solving, social interaction. And then all the stuff their parents are really worried about letter recognition, pre math skills, and writing. (Which by the way did you know that they change the style they teach handwriting with every couple of years. Oh do me a favor please when you start to teach your child how to write their name don’t teach them in all capital letters! It’s one of the hardest writing habits to break! ) By the time those kiddos leave my room at the end of the day my head is spinning from trying to remember if I documented everything just right and if Johnny so and so used his scissors with his right hand or left hand, and if Suzzy so and so held the pencil the right way so that I can chart that when I get home. When I get home well there are also the 10-14 hours a week I spend at home making lesson plans, cutting out things for art, making early literacy activities for circle time. Make calendars, newsletters and other notes that need to go home to parents. Keeping up with all my certifications-only 18 more classes to go
(which translates in to 18 hours). And then there is my Thirty-One business which I totally adore!!!! But it too has little tasks that if you don’t stay on top of they can really blow up! Like the hostess coaching, recruiting appointments, packing my bags for shows and the like.  I think I am spending like 20 hours a week or more on that because I am trying to promote to Senior Director. My goal is to be able to stay home once John and I are blessed with a little one. I am well on my way to that goal…I just turned in my taxes and I actually made a little money this year! I’m not in the hole! Whoo-Hoo!  There is also the normal stuff like laundry, cleaning and cooking … I mean microwaving (Ha!). Finding time to spend with John and Tank Marie too is no easy task either.

But back to my original point. It seems to me like I have lost myself somewhere in all this busyness. I feel like I have become just the preschool teacher, just the Thirty-One consultant, and just the wife. But I am more then that. I am the lover of photography, the doer of crafts & random projects, the avid reader who needs new books because she has read everything on all four bookshelves twice, and most recently I am the coupon diva of the Halfmann huddle. I am also the mission minded, Jesus freak that made me well me. Most of you would never have known all that because you only seen me in one of these capacities at a time. Somewhere along the way I must have decided that while I am an almost scary multitasker that none of these things should ever be combined. That they have to remain in the separate boxes and can only come out at their pre-scheduled time. But what good is that?


So anyways I have decided that this blog is the place where they can all combine and meet as one. It may not be perfect but it should be interesting to say the least! And while we are on the topic let’s just go ahead and throw this out there too… I’m not perfect. Nor will I ever be!
I’m just the Jesus Freak, devoted wife, preschool teacher, Thirty-One consultant, photo loving, wannabe crafter, coupon clipper, 3am reader, who sees life as a mission field, kinda of gal.
 

No comments: